• To assess the short term effects of intravitreal Lucentis (IVTL) on intraocular pressure in patients with ocular hypertension and glaucoma.
• To determine rate of anterior chamber paracentesis (ACP) required post-injection according to departmental protocol.
This was a prospective, observational study carried out between August 2011 and February 2012 in the Department of Ophthalmology, Maidstone Hospital. 24 participants (13 female, 11 male) with established ocular hypertension (OHT) or glaucoma were chosen from a cohort of patients receiving intravitreal (IVTL) Ranibizumab (Lucentis) treatment for wet age related macular degeneration (wARMD). Apraclonidine 1% was given pre-injection, and baseline IOP was measured 30 min. after this, just before IVTL. IOP was measured at baseline, within 1 min of injection, 5 min, 15 min, 30 min up to 60min following a single IVTL treatment.
Anterior paracentesis was performed if:
• Immediate post injection IOP > 50mm Hg and OHT.
• Immediate post injection IOP > 40 mm Hg and there was evidence of disc damage only.
• Immediate post injection IOP > 30mm Hg with evidence of disc damage and visual field loss.
• Immediate post injection IOP > 30mm Hg with evidence of disc damage and visual field loss